Nuffnang

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Rakku Shoe Wheel Sucks!

Some two years ago after chancing upon a particular brilliantly-designed shoe storage system, I decided to buy it despite its capacity for less than 20 pairs of shoes and cost of approx S$130.

The Rakku Shoe Wheel
won a Good Design Award in 2006 and was sold online, as well as retail shops like Fourskin and Anthropology (in SG). I got mine online from WHOA-HO, since they deliver it to my place.

My first Wheel was pink, and for the first few weeks I was very happy, thinking it saves space and eases the retrieval of my shoes.

The Wheel is made of hard plastic, separated by more transparent sheets of soft plastic and held together by elastic bands (like those thicker kind that we girls use to tie our hair in primary school).

So the first few months went by and the wheel was working fine, maybe it cannot turn as well because the weight of my shoes combined has weighed it down or something. My sister liked it so much because it is aesthetically pleasing so we ordered two more - in black and silver.

My happiness did not last. :( In less than a year, this is what happened to the elastic.


I didn't even pull apart it with strength whenever I take out my shoes. I even dropped by several shopps to ask whether I can replace the elastic, but to no avail.

Actually I also examined the Wheel and I don't think can be replaced just by cutting away the old one.

Then it became worse:


To the point that it can no longer hold my shoes, except for some pockets at the top.

In December when I went Nepal I bought this pair of leather flats, brand new, and left it in the Wheel. A week later when I decided to wear it...

The whole freakin' pair is covered in mould!!!

Damn gross, I cannot even hold the pair of shoes without dirtying my hands. Even the INTERIOR of the shoe is affected. The problem wouldn't lie in the shoe because just two weeks before I placed the shoe on the floor for 3-5 days and nothing happened.


This means that the Wheel cannot allow your shoes to "breathe" or 通风,that explains the moist that caused the mould.

The silver Wheel's elastic also became problematic soon after. Only my sister's wheel (Black) still working okay, but...


It's very dirty with stains and cannot be cleaned conveniently. They become these dried up mouldy stains.

Moral of the story?

Don't buy something just because it LOOKS nice!
-

In happier news, Facebook prompted this image to me for almost a week now:

Hehehe. We're celebrating it in the way we discussed it when we were only together for 3 months. So this is really happening! Gonna wear my new dress out, hopefully he likes it; I even went for a pedicure just now. Hahaha. Bimbo moments.

Pfft, what message? I'm going to talk to him straight in the face! :D


2 comments:

Cherry Coke said...

Eeww gross! I was looking to buy one of these but had no idea about the mold.

Thiang! said...

Me neither! We have since thrown out all three of them. :(

thiang.blogspot.com. Powered by Blogger.